School is back in session!
Here are some great back-to-school tips for high schoolers (and their parents) from Michele Brown, Counselor Department Chair, Palo Verde High School.
- Start small with school supplies until you’re told what you need. Each teacher will provide a list of exactly what is needed for their class.
- Attend any orientation offered BEFORE school starts or go on the school website to learn the lay of the land, i.e. where’s the cafeteria, the gym, the library?
- Visit the school website. Familiarize yourself with school policies, dress codes, discipline, and attendance procedures.
- Note the start and end times for your particular school as they can vary from school to school.
- Set up a study area in the home free of distractions and commit to using it.
- Develop a routine of studying.
- Organizers are a must.
- If on a block schedule, get one backpack for “A” and a different color one for “B” days.
- Develop short-term and long-term realistic goals. Aim for improvement not perfection.
- Learn what clubs and sports are available and prepare to be involved.
And here are a few for parents!
- Look up zoning at CCSD.net and be sure your child is zoned for the school.
- Hovering parents should ease up. Less attached parents should hover more.
Thanks to Michele Brown for the great high school tips! Hoping all Summerlin high schoolers have an amazing year!